Wandering Cursor

tamarells 16:14 02 Apr 07

I have problem that cursor periodically 'wanders' over the screen before settling down when I use the mouse to move it. It's a wireless mouse. Battery 100% - tried reverting to standard mouse that came with the PC but didn't cure it. Could it be caused by a program I loaded or is it more likely to be a problem with Windows XP SP2?

Kate B 16:16 02 Apr 07

It's an XP thing - it used to happen to me when I used XP, too. I found giving the mouse cursor a wiggle stopped it for the time being.

tamarells 16:22 02 Apr 07

Thanks Kate B. I'll try it but were your problems with a wireless mouse?

Kate B 16:26 02 Apr 07

No, I use a wired mouse.

tamarells 16:31 02 Apr 07

Kate B - I'll still try it. I wondered if reinstalling Windows XP might do the trick but the disk that came with my PC includes SP1 which I suppose could cause me a problem.

silverous 16:38 02 Apr 07

Are you using a mouse matt? Some surfaces can cause this - I think for example a bright white reflective mouse matt for example.

Try it without/with a different mouse matt if so.

tamarells 16:41 02 Apr 07

Silverous - mouse mat is black matt!

Kate B 16:54 02 Apr 07

It's not worth going nuclear and reinstalling Windows over. You could try deleting the mouse drivers and letting Windows find them again on the next reboot, but my memory of this niggle in XP is that I ended up living with it. It doesn't seem to be a problem in Vista.

tamarells 17:06 02 Apr 07

Thanks Kate B. Makes sense.

birdface 17:21 02 Apr 07

If it has the scroll wheel on it,Try pressing it in and out a few times and scroll up and down as well.After doing that try restarting your computer,Sometimes its the simple things that cure it,

silverous 21:11 02 Apr 07

Tamarells - if you don't use the mouse matt at all does it improve?

I suspect that the mouse needs contrast to function and matt black doesn't have much of that just like bright white!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…