Wanadoo free web space & FTP'ing your site

georgemac 12:03 21 Jan 05

Has anyone managed to load their website onto the free web space provided by wanadoo?

I have tried and failed miserably. I have a simple family website with some computing tips which I used to have hosted on my free NTL webspace - I used to ftp it to there no problem.

Wanadoo allow you to upload files one at a time, which will take forever, but even if I just upload my index.htm page it still says there is nothing to load.

Any advice will be gratefully recieved - I have used the search facilty and I am not alone but no answers so far.

georgemac 12:11 21 Jan 05

I have deleted the site and files again on the wanadoo server.

When I create the site, wanadoo place an index.html file in the root directory, and when I go to the site address it opens a page saying this site is under construcion.

I then import my 4 files index.htm links.htm title.htm and main.htm and when I go the web address it says we're sorry but the page you requested cannot be found.

When I open the file index.htm with my browser from my hard drive it opens the framed page perfectly.

I am a bit lost.

georgemac 12:11 21 Jan 05

sorry, that is after I have moved the wanadoo index.html out of the root directory.

georgemac 13:49 21 Jan 05

the file extension of the index file must be html - .htm was no use - never knew that this would make a difference, thought the browser would have opened any of the files.

now just have to get my redirect fixed and check the site is all OK.

glad I came in here though, got a link to powerless's site

Handy Spinner 17:23 28 Jan 05

...but I thought I'd just mention that I have successfully used Wanadoo's webspace before, to run a popular site in its field. When using the Wanadoo upload service, I would often upload a .zip file of my site - if you notice, they offer to take a Zip file and unzip it once it arrives. Works very well, especially if you've got many files to upload!

Handy Spinner

georgemac © 17:49 28 Jan 05

the one thing I don't like is the wanadoo advert above the index page - NTL never had this when I used them.

I also now cannot lo in my my ftp application - wanadoo say I already have an open connection!

When my 12 months is up I will be switching to another ISP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…