//some 3rd party need geo

Wake-on LAN

ajw2708 07:24 04 Jun 06

I believe that I can set my WinXP home Acer TM 2423 laptop so that even when it is totally powered off, I can get it going from another PC anywhere on the Net. It specification said it is wake-on LAN ready. I have got remote access to it using VNC Server Service, but so far I have only been able to turn it off!! This access is through my Linksys ADSL AG241 router.

Can anyone guide me?

Taff™ 09:04 04 Jun 06

click here seems relatively straight forward and I must admit I`ll watch this thread because I would like to be able to do the same. Hope it helps.

Forum Editor 09:46 04 Jun 06

several conditions must be satisfied:-

1. Wake on LAN must be enabled in your BIOS, so check that first.

2. You must have software that can send the 'wake up' packets across the network to the appropriate machine.

Have you checked your network adapter's settings (do it network neighbourhood) to see if it is configured to Wake on LAN?

ajw2708 10:47 04 Jun 06

Wake on LAN is set within the BIOS already. What software is required and can I have the URL(s) for a free download?

Forum Editor 21:55 04 Jun 06

click here

There are several software solutions, but some of them only work with machines that are on the local network, rather than via the internet.

One thing to remember (it's often the cause of problems for people using WOL for the first time) is that the machine must have a 'soft' power down - in other words, don't use the power button to turn it off. If you do, WOL will not work - the motherboard must retain a small voltage.

ajw2708 11:18 19 Nov 06

I will persue this again when I have 2 PCs locally on the same LAN.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…