Wacom Intuos preferences

Diemmess 10:55 26 Jan 07

Have just treated myself to an Intuos 3 A6 tablet.
It is up, running and doing all that I hoped it would so much better than my original 9 year old Pen Partner.

Just one snag.
I ordered and paid for (Amazon) the standard A6 size, which has a mouse as part of the kit, but received an A6 Wide which should cost slightly more but does not include the mouse.

I didn't want the mouse anyway, because I am not used to a mouse/tablet arrangement so my question is:-

Is a slightly larger working area to be preferred even though the aspect ratio is different? .

To fuss with Amazon now seems pointless if I am better off accepting the order as delivered. The cost difference is minimal. I could buy a Wacom mouse in the future if I then decided I needed it.

€dstowe 14:23 26 Jan 07

I'm left handed and I use the Wacom tablet in my left hand and my conventional mouse in my right - though not at the same time. Never been able to get on with the Wacom tablet/mouse combinations.

Diemmess 14:45 26 Jan 07

No need to expect bother from unmatched format then?
i.e. 4:3 monitor with a widescreen tablet, I assume there is no problem.

Equally the absence of a Wacom mouse simplifies things for my sort of experience and use, "better the devil I know."

All in all, rather than stir things with Amazon. I should just accept what I have?

€dstowe 14:55 26 Jan 07

The only time I look at the tablet is when I'm tracing from a paper original - which is rare. All other times, I'm looking at the screen and haven't a clue where the stylus is in relation to the pad - although I do know it is approximately in the same relative position, pad to screen.

Regarding the Wacom mouse, it may be that it's because I can't use the mouse properly in my left hand and it's too much of a fag to swap the tablet to the other side of the keyboard and desk.

Bit of advice - did you get some spare stylus tips? If you did (they aren't always supplied) put them in a safe place and remember where that is. It will be a long time before you need them and being so tiny, they're easily lost.

€dstowe 14:58 26 Jan 07

Oh, if you're happy with the way the tablet works for you, I wouldn't stir things.

If you send it back, they could only sell it on as a used item so, they're not losing anything - even if it was more expensive originally.

Diemmess 16:11 26 Jan 07

Thank you for all your personal comments as well.

Unlike you who have to do this for a living, I bought a Windows capable PC in retirement and developed a pleasure in graphical fiddling with an early version of CorelDrw version 2 or thereabouts.
It was a reviewer at the time who said he had a list of "things to do" while Corel Draw was printing! I think I upgraded to 2Mb of Ram at that point - Technomatic £85.78 inc VAT and Postage.

Being left handed at birth and forced to use my right hand had the result that my handwriting is execrable, but I can house paint with either hand.
Must try to see how I get on with the tablet on my left.

Oh, those spare nibs? Yes they are already in a safe place, but I still have some from my very first tablet. Its weak point and its nuisance was to have a lead between the tablet and the pen which needed micro soldering when it broke inevitably at the tablet end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…