.wab and .dbx files

Carafaraday 15:45 17 Nov 05

When I search for the above files (with a view to back up) I can't find them anywhere. Have just had a reinstall of XP and Outlook Express is working ok. Any suggestions?

Carafaraday 15:45 17 Nov 05

I have tried reveal hidden files..............

Carafaraday 16:00 17 Nov 05

Found the dbx files in c:\documents&settings\owners\localsettings\application data\identities\longstring of numbers\outlookexpress. I have just copied the file 'outlook express'. Is that ok? Will I be able to restore the emails from this?
Still unable to find address book. Have tried to search for .wab but found nothing.

Skyver 16:02 17 Nov 05

Although what you've tried ought to work, look in \Documents and Settings\[account name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{ very long number }\Microsoft\Outlook Express\*

Skyver 16:04 17 Nov 05

Yes, copy the whole folder - just export the address book from with OE. When it comes to re-import make sure all the files are Read/Write, ie the Read Only bit is not set. This means you can't import them directly from CD for example, you have to copy them to HD, uncheck Read Only then try.

Carafaraday 16:09 17 Nov 05

Thanks for your reply.

Have tried that but there are only .dbx files in that folder.........
The address book is working ok, so it must be somewhere!

Carafaraday 16:12 17 Nov 05

Found it eventually - Documents and settings\owner\aplication data\microsoft\addressbook......
Still don't know why 'search' wasn't successful though.
Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…