wa~ what? file

pupae 13:26 07 Feb 04

does any one know what a wa~ file is, and can i delete it safely?

dave h 13:35 07 Feb 04

Where is it located?

I've seen a ~ file on the desktop and I know the answer to that, but yours appears different with the 'wa' in front of it.

DieSse 13:44 07 Feb 04

If it's in the same folder as your .wab file (Windows Address Book) - then it's just a temporary file of the address book from before the last change to it. It's quite handy as a backup, so best leave it there.

pupae 13:57 07 Feb 04

yes i think it is something to do with the adddress book, but its 14mb and i need the space, (i take it can delete it then)

AubreyS 14:04 07 Feb 04

Yes I did a search for it and found it in C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

dave h 14:07 07 Feb 04

If it appears on the desktop as an Icon with the ~ under it then it can be deleted, as its caused by glitch in IE6 when an alteration to your address book is made.(any alteration I believe).

If however it does not appear on your desktop and has the 'wa' prefix then I can't advise you on what to do.

the ~ suffix on a file usually means that a program has created or modified a file with a name longer thatn it can use so it cuts the name short and replaces the end of the name with ~
it's just like any other file and should be deletable
james

pupae 14:13 07 Feb 04

thanx for that, ive now found a file called user/DMP can i delete this also? sorry to be a pain

VoG II 14:15 07 Feb 04

this file is a dump file automatically created in the event of a system crash or similar event. you can use it to help with debugging, if you know how, after a system failure but it is not a system file and is also not essential to make you're computer work so yes you can delete it if you need the space.
james

pupae 14:19 07 Feb 04

thanx every one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…