W98SE desktop not responding

phil.s 14:57 11 Apr 05

Hi,

Can anyone help.
Recently, I have been getting errors with both Internet Explorer and Explorer such as 'IE has encountered a problem and must close' and 'explorer.exe is not responding'.
In the last couple of days, however, things have worsened and the desktop icons will not respond - sometimes the explorer.exe error follows this. I have checked the system with up to date AVG7.0 and ADAWARE/spybot with no problems found. I have also performed scandisk/disk defrag with no improvement.

Incidentally, several months ago explorer.exe was corrupted by a virus and had to be replaced by the correct one from the W98SE CD.

any suggestions gratefully received.

woodchip 15:34 11 Apr 05

Yes try this put your Win98 cd in comp stop it running. then in run box type SFC press enter and run the program

phil.s 16:37 11 Apr 05

Thanks woodchip.

I ran SFC, which gave a whole host of files in Windows/System that it said has been changed. A lot of them start with 'VS' which I think are Zonealarm related. Others included Explorer.exe (because I replaced that back in feb) and msvbvm60.dll, condlg.ocx, richtx32.ocx, picclp32.ocx and mscomctl.ocx.

Several others were reported as deleted:-
fastvideoplayer.dll, mseggrpid.dll and vciewer.ocx.

I didn't replace any of these, just clicked ignore. Is it safe to replace these from the W98 CD?

Thanks again,

phil.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 11 Apr 05

Yes safe to replace from CD

woodchip 22:16 11 Apr 05

As above yes

phil.s 07:16 12 Apr 05

I dont want to screw up my PC completely so can I just check before I go ahead:

1. There were no corrupt files; all were either changed or deleted (as described above). Interestingly, I did an SFC in safe mode several months ago but this did not find any of the changed files above.

2. Do I try to replace ALL the files that have been changed? What happens if I try to replace system files (such as the Zonealarm ones) that are not on the W98 CD?

Thanks again,

Phil.

woodchip 10:19 12 Apr 05

You will have to reload the programs if any missing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…