W98SE Automatic display of My Computer contents

Tikka 19:05 04 Mar 04

After working normally for several years my computer has\started displaying the contents of My Computer at startup and on loading some programs. There is nothing in the Startup menu to cause this. Any ideas how I can stop it?

hugh-265156 19:12 04 Mar 04

are you using inter explorer 5 by any chance?

click here

ps.i would also consider upgrading to version 6.

hugh-265156 19:12 04 Mar 04

internet explorer. sorry.

Tikka 13:42 11 Mar 04

Thanks for the suggestion. I am already using IE6. Does the suggestion work with IE6?

GaT7 13:58 11 Mar 04

Did you recently install/uninstall any new software?

Had this problem just after installing AOL 8.0 from a dodgy disc. Uninstalling & reinstalling AOL 8.0 from another disc worked for me.

anon1 13:58 11 Mar 04

look in msconfig and make sure it is not in there to run at start up

Tikka 20:36 11 Mar 04

Thanks Crossbow. I have just installed a 9 in 1 card reader (with great difficulty. This has probably caused the problem but I shall have to live with it. It took about 10 attempts to load the driver.

GaT7 14:14 12 Mar 04

If you're familiar with the Registry:

Navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer. Locate a sub-key below this branch called 'desktopprocess'. Click on it and delete it*. Then close the registry editor and reboot.

*Before deleting I would strongly recommend to export (backup) the key, just in case!

NOTE: I couldn't find 'desktopprocess' on my PC's Registry - but maybe it's because I don't have your particular problem &/or we have a different OS installed.

Please let us know if it worked.

hugh-265156 23:44 12 Mar 04

hi Tikka,any joy yet?

did you try to delete the desktop process value as above from ms link and Crossbow7.

it may also work for ie6.not sure though so set a system restore point before trying it maybe.

Tikka 18:33 13 Mar 04

Thanks for suggestions. Just getting round to trying them when I kept getting blue screens and the add/remove window was completely empty. Went for reinstall of W98SE and took opp to upgrade to XP. There may be new problems but the original one had gone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…