W98 to XP Oh Dear!

BEANS 18:31 05 Oct 04

When I change to Windows XP, can I use my HP 890C printer and a HP CD 8200 series CDWriter? How many of the original features (double sided printing, etc.) will be useable?
I assume scanners will work as they are Twain driven.
Alternatively, does anyone know of a site that deals with these possible problems?
Thanks

VoG II 18:33 05 Oct 04

Run this click here

OwenLotts 18:41 05 Oct 04

Try looking on the manufacturers website for updated drivers......

THE TERMINATOR 20:07 05 Oct 04

XP is two years old and I would have thought you would be able to get XP drivers for most hardware available. Any of the latest software programs should run in XP without any problems, any that don't(or old stuff) you can run in compatability mode....TT

BEANS 18:56 06 Oct 04

Perhaps it will pay to wait until the next offering from Mr. Gates?
Any thoughts on this, please, as I think my present set-up will struggle along for a while.
I realise there is unlikely to be nothing other than compatability in any new OS, but maybe I could afford some new gear by the time the new OS is marketed.

woodchip 19:03 06 Oct 04

If I was you leave 98 on, it takes less space and dose not need the latest hardware etc. and for me it is far faster than XP both at loading and running. I have a Win98se that I am typing this on and a XP desktop and a XP Laptop and other that the support for USB2, I would load Win98se on both. That’s my Opinion!!

961 19:11 06 Oct 04

If you go to the microsoft link given by VoG you can find out which programmes and hardware on your system requires work before installing xp

Then you need to download the new drivers etc BEFORE carrying out the upgrade

Your printer and scanner should work fine if you go to the HP site and download the new drivers. You will probably need new drivers for your modem.

The Windows XP disk contains the programme to interrogate your system and tell you what you need to do before the installation

It is unlikely that waiting for the new o/s (2006) will bring anything else to help. It is all available now and quite easy if you take your time and go through the instructions carefully

Windows xp has been around long enough for the bugs to be sorted

bearpot 19:16 06 Oct 04

try going to click here and downloading the lastest drivers for XP, but when i upgraded to XP Pro, it already had the driver on the system for my Lexmark Z11 printer which is approx 3 years old

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…