W98 to XP Home

orihuela 17:37 22 Aug 06

Sorry not to know much but can someone advise me?

I am in Spain at the moment and going back to the UK in October. I have a laptop here with me WXP Home. When I get back to my house in the UK I have a desktop old W98 which I would prefer to use.

Can I upgrade the desktop to XP. I have an original WXP disk with the laptop - or won't that work? If not, how do I do it without buying an expensive upgrade kit.

ade.h 17:54 22 Aug 06

It will be acceptable if it is a full retail or upgrade copy.

However, I suspect that it is a full OEM copy, and thus would be illegal to use on any other hardware without a new license. Given the comparatively modest cost, I suggest that you buy a retail upgrade copy of XP, which can be installed in the same manner as any other (ie, a clean installation if required) and your old 98 CD will be examined during the installation.

If you do not have the 98 CD, then you could stretch the EULA a little bit by borrowing one or buy a full retail copy of XP. This assumes that your 98 license is full OEM or full retail. A retail upgrade copy of XP converts an OEM 98 license into a full retail 98 license.

I will not get into the possibility of buying an OEM copy of XP with some hardware as that is complex/questionable and I am not a lawyer.

DieSse 22:54 22 Aug 06

I think ade.h may be accidentally misleading you. Just to make it crystal clear - you cannot just install XP onto a second system, whatever version of XP it is - retail or OEM. The rules are one copy, one system only.

What you can do with a retail copy is uninstall it from your laptop - then re-install it on your desktop.

With an OEM copy, even this is not allowed.

On a seperate point - are you sure your Win98 system is up to running XP - enough RAM for instance? Is there any special reason you want to upgrade to XP?

Also consider that for £0 you could install a version of Linux on your Win98 system. You would quickly feel quite at home with Xandros, depending on what tasks you want to do. Xandros has a (legally) free download version. click here

orihuela 13:05 23 Aug 06

Thanks for that.

The reason I thought I should have xp on my desk top pc is because I want to network my xp laptop with it. Do I need to have the same operating system to do this?

ade.h 13:09 23 Aug 06

No; but it really, really helps if you have XP.

al224 19:53 23 Aug 06

you might be able too - but double check that you have all of the hardware needed otherwise you could damage the pc.

Look through system information and see whether you have

Pentium 3 or higher

10GB hard disc or higher

Also check the installation cd is original

orihuela 10:28 24 Aug 06

I think this will be the last question on this subject. Thanks for all the advice.

But - are the XP upgrades that can be purchased from the shops easy to install on my old W98 or should I dump the old machine and buy a new tower? I want it to work without it being too technical for me to understand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…