W98 shut-down too fast - forces scandisk prior reb

grianal 21:15 18 Nov 03

Supermicro P6DGU, 2x550 PIIIs, 384 SDRAM, W98SE.
I have upgraded this machine myself, but there is a problem with the cache not being written to HD as it shuts down. (I think). I remember PCA had a cure for this some time ago, but I can't remember it, or find it in the 'SEARCH'. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Please. Thanks

Rtus 21:18 18 Nov 03

Boot go to run > Msconfig > Advanced tab > disable fast shut down .See if that helps?

MAJ 21:18 18 Nov 03

You could disable FastShutdown from msconfig > Advanced (if I remember correctly). There is also the Windows 98se shutdown supplement, if it's hanging on shutdown. click here Read the bumpf, first.

grianal 08:52 19 Nov 03

Thanks guys - but I've tried both these solutions to no avail. I think it requires a registry tweak - something to do with slowing down the hardware, so that windows has time to unload before shut-down....

Jester2K II 08:56 19 Nov 03

Look for the IDE Hard Drive Cache fix. click here

It adds a pause in the shut down process to allow data to be written back to the drive.

Jester2K II 08:58 19 Nov 03

Also how are you running 2 x PIII 550s? I didn't think Win98 supported Dual Processors???

Gongoozler 09:09 19 Nov 03

grianal, also if you have Norton AV, then Options - Autoprotect - Advanced, and untick "Scan floppy disk in A: for boot viruses when shutting down". Look at this site for a superb compilation of shutting down solutions for all versions of Windows. click here

grianal 10:42 19 Nov 03

Hello Jester: thanks for info on IDE. I should have mentioned my machine is scsi. Which probably knocks out the IDE patch.
W98 & 98SE BOTH support dual processors - so no problem. (btw, I bought XP upgrade and tried to get a dual-boot up & running, but have had to give up on it, as it hangs on the notorious 39 min parse). Thanks for your help.

grianal 10:45 19 Nov 03

Hello Gongoozler: had a look at the link you kindly provided. Looks promising. I will let you know how I get on once I've worked my way through the tests. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…