W98 Remove onboard video

scooper 11:39 21 Jun 03

I have now installed a new PCI video card, how do I stop W98 loading the on board video, or how do I force W98 to load the new card as the default

Totally-braindead 12:11 21 Jun 03

Some computers do it automatically when they detect another(not onboard) graphics card. If not go in to the BIOS( usually you press delete when the computer boots up) and look for the option to disable onboard graphics. If this doesn't work or you can't find it, post back but include more information about your computer ie operating system and motherboard make and model and I'm sure you'll get assistance.

scooper 14:30 21 Jun 03

I can't find any reference to video in the BIOS settings

Running W98 SE

System board is Micro-Star MS 6378 (VT 8361)

Bios V6.00 PS

Aries PC

Trying to stop the Pc loading Via Tech Graphics Controller

Stuartli 18:11 21 Jun 03

You should find some reference to video in the CMOS setup as well as in the BIOS (most likely the chipset features section).

Glyn-252301 18:37 21 Jun 03

If you have a motherboard manual have a look through it, you may have to alter a jumper setting. Regards G.

jasperdxn 22:25 21 Jun 03

Steps taken to remove the onboard graphics before installing new graphics card.

1. Went to Device Manager
2. Clicked Display Adapters
3. Clicked Intel(r) 82810e Graphics Controller
4. Clicked Remove
5. Close Device Manager and Close Control Panel
6. Clicked Start
7. Clicked Search for Files and Folders
9. Clicked Search Now
10. Clicked Intel Corporation i81xw9x
11. Clicked Delete
12. Switched off computer.
13. Installed New Graphics Card.
These are the steps I took before installing my Hercules Prophet PCI graphics card. The instruction book for the card said I had to search for and delete a .INF file for my onboard graphics to avoid any conflicts.
I am using WINME.
Hope this helps

woodchip 22:35 21 Jun 03

Go to device manager and choose the box in Display Adapter remove the tick in the box "Exists in all Hardware Profiles" make shure you do it in the right one, as you will have two with your new one. You will not be able to disable the onboard any other way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…