a W98 question

palinka 19:20 19 Jan 05

I'm helping someone running W98, of which i've virtually no experience . He has some programs on the desktop, instead of having them in C drive with a shortcut to them on desktop. How can i send the progs to C drive from desktop?

Graham ® 19:23 19 Jan 05

Open C, locate Program Files, drag and drop the programs in.

palinka 19:26 19 Jan 05

thanks.

ACOLYTE 19:26 19 Jan 05

I think the best thing is to uninstall them and reinstall as there may be files required that are not on the desktop,but if he cannot do that you could try copy/paste all the programs into c:/programfiles then open each folder in turn select the .exe file for each program and make a short cut on the desktop,it may not work but without uninstalling anything it about the best way.

palinka 19:27 19 Jan 05

thanks, ACOLYTE.

PA28 19:28 19 Jan 05

I'm not clear on this question. If you right click on the desktop icon and select properties what does it say?

If it's what I think it may be that you're saying, then you could copy (in Windows Explorer)the programs from your Desktop folder to the Program Folder - then place the shortcut icons on the desktop (in this respect at least, 98 is similar to XP and the rest). However, results are unlikely to be reliable.

Personally, if what you say is what it is, I would uninstall the programs in their entirety. I would then reinstall from the original disks, making sure that the installation route was a bit more conventional (like C:\Program Files)

PA28 19:29 19 Jan 05

Blimey - wot a flurry of replies!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…