W98 OUTLOOK EXPRESS AND AVG CONFLICT

urban gorilla 10:54 23 Dec 04

I'm having problems opening my inbox in outlook express. I did google search and read I had to disable e-mail virus scanning on my avg. I did this and it worked. My concern is that the e-mails are not being scanned for virus before they are downloaded onto my pc and on opening the e-mails. i have scanned my pc for viruses and none were found. is there another way of getting the inbox to open without switching off the avg email scan? please help.

pj123 11:28 23 Dec 04

No problems here. I have win 98se and IE/OE 6 and AVG 7.

Takes a little bit longer to open than it did with AVG 6, but I can wait.

urban gorilla 11:30 23 Dec 04

sorry to bump this but it was very quickly slipping down the page.

urban gorilla 11:33 23 Dec 04

it wasn't a case of waiting it just didn't open. in task manager it said OE not responding. when i disabled email scanning on my avg it opened immediately.

ACOLYTE 11:37 23 Dec 04

If you dont open the emails,or have the preview pane active then you should be ok,you could then get avg to scan them after i know it doesnt solve your problem though.

What settings have you got in the avg email scanner?

urban gorilla 11:56 23 Dec 04

i used to have it set up to scan both incomming and outgoing emails.

i'm having problems with spam at the moment. i'm concerned that emails carrying viruses will get through without being scanned and i may open one and that'll be me up the swanee without a paddle.

pj123 12:11 23 Dec 04

urban gorilla, sorry, didn't mean to sound facetious. Just stating that I don't seem to have any problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:19 23 Dec 04

Have been lots of problems with AVG and e-mails have a look at AVG own site and suggestions

AVG E MAIL SCANNER SETUP

click here

Stuartli 13:12 23 Dec 04

See this thread:

click here

That's the way I solved it on a Windows 98SE system - my XP Pro system didn't require it.

urban gorilla 22:38 23 Dec 04

Fruit Bat /\0/\ thanks for your link, i will read it through and maybe contact their support if the problem persists.

Stuartli i have za so i will try your suggestion too.

my main concern was being infected by a virus through email whilst not being scanned by avg. from the link to the thread Stuartli provided it appears the problem maybe due to the recent update. i remember everything was working fine before i updated. i feel reassured that avg are aware and will fix the problem. i hope it is soon otherwise i will have to swap it for avast (never heard of it before, is it really good?)

thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me.

daba 23:30 23 Dec 04

^for my postings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…