W8 on a usb key

Digital 20:10 PM 01 Jun 12

I want to try W8 on a netbook alongside W7. I know there have been articles about doing this but now I want one I can't find one! Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

rdave13 20:45 PM 01 Jun 12

I think you can install win8 from a usb drive but it was advisable not to try dual boot.link.

Replace your HDD with a cheap one and install win8 via the flash drive would be my advice. It's only an evaluation key you'll get.

woody 21:18 PM 01 Jun 12

I think the link shows how to load to a hard drive from usb. The poster wants to run from usb.At least thats how i read it.

I have not seen that you can not ,or should not,use dual boot - this is dual boot at the moment with win 8 C.R. In my opinion dual boot is the best option with win8 on its own partition or some may prefer virtual drive.

woody 21:21 PM 01 Jun 12

This might be better in the WIN8 forum.

robin_x 21:35 PM 01 Jun 12

I use VMWare, just for a look-see.

W8 Release Preview was released yesterday.

PC Advisor page here. Dual boot instructions link on right.

RP License Key (valid till Jan 2013 I think) is

TK8TP-9JN6P-7X7WW-RFFTV-B7QPF

32 bit

64 bit

Backup your system first if you try for dual boot, just in case.

rdave13 21:37 PM 01 Jun 12

You can't run Win8 from a flash drive.

Zeppelyn 00:40 AM 02 Jun 12

rdave says "You can't run Win8 from a flash drive" but indeed you can, Windows 8 supports an option called Windows to Go, which allows you to install the OS on a USB drive and carry a bootable version of Windows around in your pocket. All you need to build one is a Windows 7 or Windows 8 machine and an external drive big enough to hold the OS, temporary files, and some basic applications.

http://www.tested.com/news/news/3693-windows-to-go-how-to-run-windows-8-off-of-a-flash-drive/

Not tried it myself but just google Windows to Go and there are loads of guides, myself I would only try it with USB3 as would think USB2 would be sluggish. Dual boot is another option if you have the space.

Zeppelyn 00:43 AM 02 Jun 12

PS Will only be available in the Pro version of final release.

Digital 18:44 PM 02 Jun 12

Thanks to all of you for your advice which I shall now digest; hope it doesn't give my netbook indigestion!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nvidia GRID 2.0 launch boosts virtualised graphics workflows

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites