W7 and raid card controller

sputnick 14:15 08 Nov 09

I have installed a second hard drive and am now able to dual boot XP and W7 RC.
My motherboard has an ide connector that supllies 2 HD`s and the 3rd HD is SATA.
As I am using 2 DVD drives and no spares ide sockets I installed a PCI ITE raid controller that supplies the DVD drives.
Works perfectly wityh XP but not on W7.
ITE has no drivers for W7 and the controller board has been phased out although still on sale.
I don`t want to go to the expense of changing all DHD`s and Optical drives to SATA.
Any suggestions.

sputnick 14:17 08 Nov 09

What I should have put although it`s quite obvious is that with no Optical drives available with W7 I can`t easily install any new drivers or existing drivers

T0SH 15:27 08 Nov 09

If there are drivers for Vista use them, if not use the XP drivers but install them in XP compatibility mode by right clicking on the driver setup.ex file choose properties then on the compatibility tab choose XP SP3 from the options drop down

The worst that can happen is it won`t work and you may have to use the Win7 system restore to go back to a restore point you make before you try any of this

Cheers HC

T0SH 15:33 08 Nov 09

As an afterthought you can get an adaptor to let you connect an IDE drive to a sata port for not a lot of money

Cheers HC

sputnick 09:12 09 Nov 09

I have tried the adaptors with not much luck.
XP did not recognise the drives connected.
Also if there ar two HD`s stacked there is not enough room for the adaptors as they hang down and block the other drive from using the adaptor.
It appears there are a number of products on sale that no one knows if they are W7 compatible.
Certainly the IT 8212 Ata Raid controller is still on sale although it was phased out and no W7 drivers will be available.
All I really want is a reliable replacement that is W7 compatible.

sputnick 08:44 11 Nov 09

Somehow I managed to force W7 to accept the raid card XP driver.
All works fine for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…