W7 & old software

I in tend buying a new W7 system soon - but which 64bit or 32bit?
64bit seems best but I have read that in some cases old software does not work. Is there a list of such software available?
Specifically, I am most concerned about Photoshop 6, MS Office XP and, of course, my printer (Epson Photo R265) drivers.

blanco 18:25 06 Dec 09

I would run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on your current set up and it will detail any likely problems connected to your software or peripherals for both 32 and 64bit.

Sea Urchin 18:29 06 Dec 09

Thanks for advice.
I have downloaded W7 Upgrade advisor but have problems running it (My XP home system has problems which is why I'm looking at a new machine rather than paying for an expensive repair).
I'll keep trying to run it.

User-312386 23:08 06 Dec 09

Windows 7 has compatibility mode and i have NOT had a piece of software that does not run on it. With regards to printer drivers, if there are none available then the Windows 7 drivers will work on it

ambra4 23:26 06 Dec 09

“I'm looking at a new machine rather than paying for an expensive repair”

What problems come up after you run the Win7 upgrade advisor

Most time it the display card that is not compatibly

“I am most concerned about Photoshop 6, MS Office XP and, of course, my printer

(Epson Photo R265) drivers”

“Photo R265 Printer Driver”

Windows 7 X86 and X64 drivers available on Epson web site

Just change the OS to Windows 7

click here

“MS Office XP”

All Microsoft Office will work with Windows 7

Office 97, 2000, XP, 2003, 2007, 2010.

You will need to download and install the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel,

and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats if you are using a Office program before Office 2007

click here

Without the Office Compatibility Pack Office 2007 files will not open in Office 97, 2000, XP, &

Photoshop 6

Not to sure if Version 6 will work, I use Paint Shop Pro 7 which works fine with Windows 7

But you can always use Compatibility Mode

click here

Personal I use Windows XP Service Pack 2 and tick “Run this Program as an administrator” in

Compatibility Mode and the program works, had some problems with using Windows XP

Service Pack 3 the program will come up with a error

KremmenUK 07:29 07 Dec 09

Once Windows8 arrives the fun will start. 8 is reportedly 64bit only.

Wonder if that's the end of my Age of Empires gaming?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017