W3C contact form validation

slowhand_1000 16:02 04 May 05

I'm using a php form on a website and when I try to validate (XHTML 1.0) the page using the W3C validator it throws back numerous errors regarding the form itself. For an example

document type does not allow element "form" here

document type does not allow element "tr" here; assuming missing "table" start-tag

document type does not allow element "input" here

#Line 166, column 14: end tag for "td" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

/form>

#Line 162, column 10: start tag was here

td> /input>

#Line 166, column 14: end tag for "tr" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

/form>

#Line 162, column 10: start tag was here

td> /input>

#Line 166, column 14: end tag for "table" omitted, but OMITTG NO was specified

/form>

#Line 83, column 10: start tag was here

tr>

Can anyone suggest any other method that I could use, bearing in mind the limited skills I have.

Cheers

LeadingMNMs 18:01 04 May 05

Have you got a link to the page so we can have a look at the code ?

Also, always solve the first problem and re-validate, you'll probably lose more than the one error.

slowhand_1000 14:19 05 May 05

Thanks for the reply.

Just as a passing thought and before I troubled anyone, I have tried another contact form that I got off the web.

Rather than just replace the form with the new one, I rebuilt the page and checked the validation at each stage. Finally managing to validate it to XHTML 1.0

The original form was from 1 and 1 so it seems possible it could have been the form that was at fault. Or my page make-up was in such a mess the form would never have validated. Knowing me it's more than likely the latter. Either way it's validated now.

Perhaps one lesson I've learnt is rather than try to bash on and maybe make matters worse, is to start from scratch with a blank page and as you suggest validate as I go on.

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…