W32.Spybot.Worm removal

sheila.weston 16:10 08 Oct 04

Since my new hard disk was installed I have been plagued by the W32.spybot.worm which is in msnmsgrr.exe and servicelog.exe and which Norton cannot delete, inspite of updated files.
I am trying to follow the directions on the Symantec site, but am stuck on the registry editing section. To begin with I cannot find a copy of windows backup on my Mesh emergency disk supplied with the disk. Secondly, when I go into the registry I am told to
Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In the right pane, delete the values:

"msmanager32"="%System%\clients\faxclient\drivers"

and:

"Winsock2 driver" ="SDJOIJE.EXE"

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

In the right pane, delete the value:

"Winsock2 driver" ="SDJOIJE.EXE"

Now, following the paths, none of the files listed are there. There *are* msnmsgrr.exe and servicelog.exe files. Is it OK to delete these files? They are the ones which contain the worm, according to the Norton Virus check. The folder RunOnce does not contain the 'winsock2driver etc'. But I still have the Norton Antivirus window telling me that Norton has detected a virus in c:\windows\system32\msnmsgmgrr.exe. Clicking on OK just makes the window jump to another part of the screen.
Is it OK to delete the msnmsgmgrr.exe and servicelog.exe files?
Incidentally, the virus does not seem to be passing on to my email contacts or web forums (I hope not!).

This isn't anything to do with the Spybot program which I have instlled, is it?
Sheila

SANTOS7 16:27 08 Oct 04

click here this may help,good luck

SANTOS7 16:28 08 Oct 04

click here there are links here which will help as well

ICF 16:32 08 Oct 04

Try this program Sysclean Package 2.0MB from Trend Micro click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:45 08 Oct 04
  sheila.weston 12:57 12 Oct 04

Many thanks, everyone. I have had a glorious three days without the shybot worm. I THINK that spybot eventually got rid of it, but it may have been PestPatrol, which I have downloaded and looks good. It seems to work differently from Spybot, but I am not sure. Anyhow, I have marked this thread as resolved.

Sheila

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…