[email protected] question

rsturbo 14:57 21 Aug 03

have used stingr tool from mcafee and updated dat file and scanned, no trace of virus found but still getting loads of emails with same traits as description given on mcafee site, also tried symantec removal tool but no virus is found, also the file mentioned here click here is not present on my pc

w98se with oe and using zonealarm and virusscan 6

please help!!!

Jester2K II 15:17 21 Aug 03

Not sure what you are asking here!!

You are being snet copies of the worm in e-mails and haven't been infected? What wrong with that?

pj123 15:42 21 Aug 03

Have a read of this previous thread. click here

Jester2K II 15:43 21 Aug 03

Ben Avery 15:47 21 Aug 03

What exactly is the problem here???

It seems to me that you are asking for advice on why your system's antivirus software is doing it's job. If the PC is not infected, which it seems obvious that it isn't, you have nothing to worry about.

Simply delete the emails and don't open them - niet problemski.

Ben Avery 15:49 21 Aug 03

to put things into perspective for you, I work in an offshore recruitment agency recieving tonnes of emailed CV's from people who don't use antivirus protection and so I get sent LOTS of virus'. Point being, if you know what they are and indeed they are caught by your AV software, you don't need any help - this is normal ok?

rsturbo 23:54 21 Aug 03

sorry for not explaining clearly; the link i posted shows the typical headings of the emails (with attachments) usually received by a pc infected by the virus, these include; Subject: Your details
Thank you!
Re: Thank you!
Re: Details
Re: Re: My details
Re: Approved
Re: Your application
Re: Wicked screensaver
Re: That movie
Re: That movie

Attachment: your_document.pif

i removed the virus with the tool, but still kept receiving the emails (for ~36hrs), i have subsequently stoppped receiving them i think there were just loads sent in the previous hours to my removing virus.

thanks for suggestions

Ben Avery 01:01 22 Aug 03

Just FYI, the abopve messages in your inbox do not actually indicate an "infected" machine, merely a machine which has "recieved" the virus.

To illustrate, you could send me a letter which contains a bomb if opened. If I was informed that the letter comes in a pink envelope with certain lettering on it, just because I get these letters through my door, doesn't mean any damage is done. If I opened the letter, that's another story - you haven't opened the email so there is no problem.

Like the letter-bomb illustration, disposing of the email will leave you clean, if a little shaken.

suzie005 01:11 22 Aug 03

took me a hell of a while to realise just that.my system was clear and i had the continuous mail for 24 hours. i ran a file i downloaded last nite

click here

and did the run/command thingy.the registry got the all clear.just gotta get the restore folder sorted.it's still a pain.

Ben Avery 10:00 22 Aug 03

Yes I saw your thread yesterday, your system restore problem may be unrelated to the virus though. It seemed from what I remember that you managed to clear the system of any virus contaminents or is that not the case?

If indeed you are virus free, yet the system restore still does not allow itself to be switched off, I would say you have a windows corruption. Can't say I've heard of the SoBig.F or MSBlast virus' causing any problems with the system restore??? Still, could be a first!

If I've got the thought of your thread totally wrong, I apologise (Admittedly I haven't gone out and searched for it, just responding to my postings as I'm short on time this morning!)

If I can be of any further help, email me or just continue to post on your thread.

Hope it all gets sorted soon!

suzie005 10:52 22 Aug 03

i've had problems loads of times with things getting into the folder and maybe a coincidence but it was working a few hours beforehand and there is nowt at all on the MS sites regarding THIS problem.correct about any remnants.only things remaining are those in the folder and believe me anything is likely to happen to me.last year when trying to install a MS mouse ( with problems) the MS guy was on the phone at the time when i got an error message.it was a new one.should've asked him to name it after me.

i'll be in touch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…