[email protected] virus... help removing it

woodbexhill 11:37 02 Mar 04

I'm now 100% certain I have this virus on one of my other computers, but I cannot remove it. I attempted to scan my computer with 2 Online virus scans, one of which reported that my computer was clean, and the other of which detected the virus but said that it could not remove it.

I've scanned with AVG/McAfee, one I can't remember which now - but it didn't detect anything.

It would seem after looking at this security reponse:

[email protected]" title="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]" TARGET="_new">click here

... that Norton anti-virus can remove it, the problem is however, as you can see from the security response itself, the virus closes any applications with "Norton Antivirus" in their name... this means that I can't actually install Norton.

I've heard that it is possible to scan computers from another computer on the same network, is this in fact possible? And if so how can I go about it.

ps. it seems the virus does not run in safe mode, and so I can use my computer when in this mode - but Norton will not install in Safe mode.

JIM 12:39 02 Mar 04

click here

Solution-------Identifying the Malware Program

To remove this malware, first identify the malware program.

Scan your system with your Trend Micro antivirus product.
NOTE all files detected as WORM_RUSTY.A.
Trend Micro customers need to download the latest pattern file before scanning their system. Other Internet users may use Housecall, Trend Micro’s free online virus scanner.

Terminating the Malware Program

This procedure terminates the running malware process from memory. You will need the name(s) of the file(s) detected earlier.

Open Windows Task Manager.
On Windows 95/98/ME systems, press
CTRL+ALT+DELETE
On Windows NT/2000/XP systems, press
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, then click the Processes tab.
In the list of running programs*, locate the malware file or files detected earlier.
Select one of the detected files, then press either the End Task or the End Process button, depending on the version of Windows on your system.
Do the same for all detected malware files in the list of running processes.
To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task Manager, and then open it again.
Close Task Manager.

Jester2K 12:52 02 Mar 04

What version of windows?

Where does the AV say the virus is?

woodbexhill 13:26 02 Mar 04

Windows is XP.

I'm not sure what your 2nd Question means Jester.

I think I tried this TrendMicro online scan, I'll give it another go now however.

Jester2K 13:27 02 Mar 04

What path does it give?

ie C:\windows\system\hfdkh.exe

woodbexhill 13:33 02 Mar 04

None of the anti-virus' detect it as I said, Jester.

One of the online scanners detected something but gave no detailed information, it just said it couln't remove it.

Jester2K 13:47 02 Mar 04

"I attempted to scan my computer with 2 Online virus scans, one of which reported that my computer was clean, and the other of which detected the virus but said that it could not remove it."

So which one detected it?

or none of them now?

woodbexhill 13:49 02 Mar 04

"I attempted to scan my computer with 2 Online virus scans, one of which reported that my computer was clean, and the other of which detected the virus but said that it could not remove it."

Sorry, it should read "it detected A virus but said that it could not remove it".

I'm going to install the TrendMicro scanner now and see if I have any luck with that.

woodbexhill 11:17 05 Jun 04

Just spoke to a rather rude operator at eMachines and explained the problem, unfortunately her limited knowledge which only expanded to reading instructions off her screen led to her to tell me I'd have to perform a system restore and lose all my data because "If they can't get into Windows that is the only option".

I repeatedly, and specifically, stated that I wanted to access the recovery console but she didn't seem to understand. So I'll ask here, where people actually have useful PC Knowledge... is it possible for me to perform a Windows XP Repair install or access the recovery console if I'm using an OEM version of Windows?

It would seem if I can, I can fix the problem... but at the moment it's proving difficult accessing the recovery/repair install without a dedicated Windows XP Disk.

woodbexhill 11:18 05 Jun 04

And I've just replied to the wrong thread... ignore that above ^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…