W32.Dedler.Worm

Woodmouse 11 17:57 16 Oct 04

My brother has the W32.Dedler.Worm on his computer. We have visited the Symantec Security Response web-site, but after following the instructions to enter the registry in Safe Mode and find the files concerned, they are not there. The problem still persists however, with the computer automatically shutting down after surfing the internet for a minute or so. Can anyone please advise what I can instruct my brother to do. Thanking you in advance.

rdave13 18:22 16 Oct 04

When i got infected with an unknown virus(to me)i took the drastic action of reloading to factory settings after backing up only the most important progs.Really restarting from scratch and loading firewall,antivirus etc....before i did anything else on the net afterwards.Maybe someone else has a better solution than mine but everything now works very well.

stalion 18:45 16 Oct 04

if you can stay on the internet long enough download and run this
click here

VoG II 18:49 16 Oct 04

I'm a bit puzzled as to why it is shutting down. If there is a countdown timer when this happens, try Start, Run, type

shutdown -a

and click OK.

VoG II 18:50 16 Oct 04

RDAVE13 - yep, that is pretty drastic!

rdave13 19:58 16 Oct 04

It works though and saves a lot of time eventually.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…