W32/Blaster worm - which systems affected ?

Tenner 11:26 16 Aug 03

There are conflicting reports as to which systems are actually/potentially vulnerable. Can anybody point to the definitive - or is it mutating ?

Regards

pj123 11:33 16 Aug 03

According to McAfee only NTFS and NT systems are affected. If you have FAT 16 or FAT 32 it should not affect you. So, you are looking at Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 2003 and Windows NT 4.0 could be affected. Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME are not affected.

Tenner 11:55 16 Aug 03

Thanks, pj

This is what made me wonder points #3 and 4

click here

Maybe I've read it incorrectly

regards

pj123 12:05 16 Aug 03

It is probably prudent not to be complacent about this virus but I have just had an email from NTL (which is my ISP) saying exactly the same thing as McAfee. If you give me your email address I will forward it to you.

DieSse 12:13 16 Aug 03

I have a number of commercial Win98/ME systems in which one particular program installs DCOM in order for it to work.

I am not at all sure that these will not be infected in some way, so as pj123 says, it's best not to be too complacent about Win9x systems.

DieSse 12:15 16 Aug 03

Thanx for yet another useful link - I had been wondering why a Win2000 system was getting svchost error messages - now I know.

xania 14:25 16 Aug 03

This virus, so I understand, exploits a security hole in XP & NT which does not exist elsewhere. This does not mean that you can't get the virus - just that it can't impact. To my mind, any one who uses the internet MUST have strong AV protection, updated at least twice a week. Don't worry about whether or not you are vulnerable to a particular virus - just worry and defend!!

Tenner 15:55 16 Aug 03

Not complacent - just paranoid! Using Peventon, AVG and b9 with both 98 and XP. Several friends are running naked, by comparison, and seem to think it's only ME onwards that'll be affected.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…