W32.Blaster Worm Removal Tool

krypt1c 11:38 16 Aug 03

If you've been unlucky enough to be infected try this click here

Forum Editor 12:14 16 Aug 03
  DieSse 12:22 16 Aug 03

After 3 days fighting with this on a variety of system in different states, I have reached the following state of affairs. The removal tools in themselves are NOT ENOUGH, and are not even the first step to take - you are likely to be almost immediately re-infected.

The only route I have found which works properly is

1) - Disable DCOM, so that the error does not keep re-occurring. This is ESSENTIAL - otherwise the following stepd will fail to work correctly

2) - Use a removal tool (although if your AV is up-to-date, you probably don't have the virus actually resident in your system anyway - or it keeps reporting a re-infection afetr the cleaning!)

3) - Install a firewall

4) - Install the relevant MS patch

5) - Re-enable DCOM

xania 14:30 16 Aug 03

I have just remove this virus from a friends PC. The key to success is to ensure that you first install the MS patch appropriate to your OS. I found that this itself was sufficient to stop the virus from impacting. Then, and only then, can you safely use the tool to remove the virus. And then, install STRONG AV software and update it twice a week. Prevention is better than cure - and cheaper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…