W32 Spybot Worm

griffo 20:35 10 Mar 05

NAV detected this infection in 3 files and couldn't fix them. Ran Spybot search & destroy and it found loads of errors, quite a few it couldn't fix as it said they were in use and asked to run spybot again on restart. I said OK and rebooted. During reboot I'm getting the following:
"NAV autoprotect, unable to determine the location of the configuration files". I click OK and it then enters W98 setup wizard!!
Can anyone please help??

Happy Soul 20:55 10 Mar 05

Have you tried click here
or click here ?

Happy Soul 21:07 10 Mar 05

And have you read this click here ?

griffo 21:10 10 Mar 05

Unfortunately I can't even boot properly into safe mode. It doesn't load explorer or any icons.

zarobian 21:36 10 Mar 05

Symantec security response center has detailed information regarding removal of the W32.spybot.worm.
click here.

griffo 21:40 10 Mar 05

Yes I know thanks, but as already stated, I can't reboot to do any of the recommended fixes. I get the DOS message "NAV autoprotect, unable to determine the location of the configuration files" and then it goes into W98 set up wizard. I need to overcome this problem first.

Dan the Confused 22:43 10 Mar 05

Try restoring the registry click here to the previous one (note that there should be a space after 'cd' in the MSKB instructions).

woodchip 22:48 10 Mar 05

As a temp start try starting with a Win98 floppy and at A:\> type

SCANREG /RESTORE put the oldest date back then reboot and try to remove the Virus after you get it going

griffo 09:36 11 Mar 05

thanks for these suggestions, will try them this evening and post results. Cheers

griffo 07:30 12 Mar 05

Did this - it worked! PC now rebooted, running virus checker (Norton)to see if bug is still there. Will work from there. Many thanks to both of you, very much appreciated.

griffo 10:20 12 Mar 05

NAV has now fixed the three infected files - all seems fine now. Again, many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…