W2K nightmare

GazMaz 19:22 17 Oct 06

I am having all sorts of issues, the latest is that my machine gets to the windows 2000 screen bootup and then reboots, I have got into Windows in Safe Mode but now need advice on how to figure out whats wrong!
Where on earth do I start, I am currently running an AVG and a Kaspersky full system scan, I have Hijack-This and have a report, and I also run (normally though not in safe mode) Lavasoft Ad-Aware, I occasionally run Spybot and normally do not find much in the way of issues.
I had to reload W2K recently as a SP4 + update failed and sent windows into a dive.
I think my issues lie there, as I'm in safe mode I can get to my files, should I try and find the issue, or backup and Format the disk and go for a complete re-install, all this a few days before I get another hard drive to ghost to....

Any help will be most gratefully received, and boy am I glad I have a work PC!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:06 17 Oct 06

gets to the windows 2000 screen bootup and then reboots

Usually driver problems especially if it gets into safe mode OK.

ninstall / reinstall or update your drivers especially graphics and sound.

GazMaz 20:14 17 Oct 06

Whilst in safe mode?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:27 17 Oct 06

Yes

GazMaz 20:38 17 Oct 06

OK I think that the AVg and Kasp are not finding much so I'll stop/pause them and do the reinstall of drivers first.

GazMaz 21:28 17 Oct 06

OK So I have un-installed and re-installed the video card, which by the way hasn't caused me issues before, not this card at least, I then un-installed the sound card completely and tried to boot without the card installed and no go. SO I went back into Safe and re-installed the sound card, and still no go.
What other drivers should I try?
I did notice an issue with Itunes which seemed to fail and won't run. Cannot un-install Itunes in Safe mode!

phil46 22:14 17 Oct 06

Are you running with a log on password??
if you are as you go to enter password does it blue screen before you finish??

GazMaz 22:21 17 Oct 06

No, no logon password more trouble than worth I found.
No it nearly gets to the blue screen then halts and starts to reboot.

GazMaz 22:27 17 Oct 06

When I say nearly gets to the blue screen I mean the standard desktop screen just after the WINDOWS 2000 bootup screen, the progress bar gets almost all the way then, stops and starts again.

phil46 22:29 17 Oct 06

I would also get rid of ITunes you will have to reinstall the system that means if you have a W98 or WME FLOPPY use FDISK and delete the none DOS partition then reinstall W2000 I KNOW BIG UPDATES to download if you haven't put them to CD ROM,i have run windows 2000 for some time and i have never managed to repair it.

phil46 22:32 17 Oct 06

If it does what you said it's a driver problem have you checked the event log??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…