W2K cannot see CD/DVD drives

zanwalk 21:49 10 Aug 06

Rather a strange one this, I replaced the H/D on my daughter's computer, successfully imaging across from old to new - no problem. Then she discovered that she could no longer play DVD's on it. On further inspection device manager at first recognises the drives, but if you click on them it suddenly pops up with an exclamation mark, and tells me that the correct drivers are not installed. Windows Explorer doesn't recognise them at all.

Now she also has W98SE on the same H/D and that continues to work perfectly, recognising the drives normally. Nothing has been changed since the H/D swap, and I have tried uninstalling the drives and rebooting all to no avail.

Has anyone got any bright suggestions because I have run out of ideas!

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:00 10 Aug 06

Sounds like one of the W2k drivers is corrupt

Go to the manufacturer web site and download the latest drivers for W2K:

zanwalk 22:19 10 Aug 06

Thanks for that Fruit Bat /\0/\, I have actually tried to do that already, but found it very difficult to find the right drivers, if that is the only way, I will try again.

I would have thought that the driver files were part of the operating system on something as basic as that, and I have already done a CHKDSK /R with the installationb CD, but it didn't help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:24 10 Aug 06

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers in XP. they are in the windows\system32\drivers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

copy to a floppy or memory stick and then
try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.
The XP drivers will probably work for w2K aswell

zanwalk 22:32 10 Aug 06

I'll certainly give that a go, and report back to let you know how it went.

Many thanks, I really appreciate your help.

zanwalk 20:32 11 Aug 06

Sadly, it hasn't worked, I tried your advice above Fruit Bat, but it didn't make any difference. I even tried uninstalling the IDE controller in Device Manager as suggested elsewhere, and on rebooting W2K found the drives again, but then declared them to have a problem. I have also tried plugging in an old CDROM I had and again it recognised it but couldn't use it.

Any more ideas anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now