W2000 ok with NIS2007?

Jacqual 14:20 09 Aug 07

I have Windows 2000 Professional on my laptop, and the Sunbelt Personal Firewall running quite happily (as far as I can tell) with NAV 2006. The latter has just expired and I was in the process of subscribing for an upgrade to NIS 2007 when I noticed it mentioned it was only for the XP & Vista OS.

Any comments/suggestions on whether this upgrade will (a) work with W2000 or (b) be worth doing? Is W2000 getting to be a bit antique now?

stylehurst 14:26 09 Aug 07

W2000 is, as far as I know going to be supported by Microsoft until at least 2011, so it is still worthwhile to keep as an operating system (I still run it on one of my desktops). I would suggest you either stay with NAV2006 & just subscribne to a further year of virus updates. Alternatively, & something I did a while back, you could dispense with NAV 2006 & use something like AVG, Bitdefender, Kapersky. I think you will find a vast improvement over NAV 2006. Most of Nortons products are now resource hogs.

Jacqual 11:01 10 Aug 07

I got this response from Symantec Online Technical Support which confirms what I suspected:

"please be informed that Norton AntiVirus (NAV) 2007 or Norton Internet Security 2007 are compatible only with Windows XP/Vista Operating System and it cannot be installed on Windows 2000 professional Operating System".

So I guess in the short term I will stick with NAV2006 - just a bit of a nuisance doing manual updates. I will also look at moving to AVG which seems to be generally respected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…