W2000: Floppy Drive and CD-Roms not seen

martinold 13:24 14 Feb 03

I upgraded to W2000 yesterday.

The floppy and both CR-Roms (one is CD-RW) worked properly.

I downloaded all Windows 2000 Upadtes.

This morning, the floppy and both CD-Roms are not being 'seen' by the computer. Accessing Device Manager tells me that they are all 'working properly', and have the latest drivers. Auto-play does not work.

Clicking on the floppy brings the response: 'incorrect function', and one the CD-Roms: 'insert CD', when there is one there already.

Martin Old

recap 13:39 14 Feb 03

I think "I downloaded all Windows 2000 Upadtes" could be your problem here martinold. Some updates are not always necessary. One (or more) updates could be having a conflict with your drives.

martinold 13:45 14 Feb 03

thank you recap - how do I find which updates to remove? Have any proved problematic?

recap 13:54 14 Feb 03

Trial and error martinold. You may have to uninstall the updates one at a time to see which if any are causing the problem.

Before you do start doing this wait a while to see if anybody else can suggest an alternative, as it may take some time to find the culprit.

martinold 15:05 14 Feb 03

all Updates removed (one at a time) - no solution!

recap 17:30 14 Feb 03

martinold, I've just re-read your original posting. You say that you "upgraded" W2K, was this from a clean install or just overwritten?

Personally I would do a clean install of a new O/S.

Sorry for not spotting this earlier.

martinold 17:45 14 Feb 03

De-installed various programmes, and the problem has now been resolved.

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…