W XP startup problem

Newuser964 17:42 27 Apr 03

I have both W ME and W XP on the same machine in different partitions.

Several times recently after downloading patches, etc. for XP, I have been prompted to reboot - however, although the computer is still live - e.g. the DVD drive will operate - the screen dark apart from a faint glow,forcing me to press Reset.

This has produced a screen with text - first line missing, rest saying:

"recent hardware or software change have caused this.
"If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut
down to protect your files & folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to
the most recent settings that worked.
"If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power
or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start
Windows Normally.

"Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally [highlighted]

"Use up and down keys to move highlight to your choice.
"Seconds until Windows starts:

However, this has been of no help, as the highlight does not work, nor do the up and down keys: and pressing Enter
before the 'Seconds until Windows Starts'item gets to zero causes a freeze. Leaving the seconds to elapse also results in a freeze.

To get out of this I have to press Reset again, then reboot to Millennium, shut down the machine, and reboot. This time, although I get the same screen, with the same restrictions, once the twenty "Seconds until Windows starts" have run down to zero then XP loads normally.

Any idea what this is all about? I can find nil to help in the W XP Knowledge Base

spikeychris 18:01 27 Apr 03

Have you tried system restore?

Chris

Newuser964 11:27 28 Apr 03

Thanks to all who have made suggns. I had not thought to do Sys Restore on both XP and ME, so am trying that to see if it helps: will come back if it doesn't!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…