w we love on jpegs

terryp96 21:25 15 Nov 03

I have noticed today that every jpeg I have has blue 'w' and blue 'we love' logo attached to it. they weren't there yesterday so where have they come from. is a virus? I am running both Norton and AVG so it shouldn't have bypassed them.
Any ideas?

porci 21:28 15 Nov 03

Dont know if this would affect it, but I have read that it isnt advisable to have 2 anti-virus' running together as they can confilct.Never heard of your problem though

VoG II 21:32 15 Nov 03

Yep, very bad idea to have 2 a-v programs running.

terryp96 21:38 15 Nov 03

Don't think that would affect it I've had both on for about 1 year now and suddenly this appears, I forgot to mention that if you double click on thumbnail with blue 'we love' the big image appears and the blue logo disappears.

Pesala 21:43 15 Nov 03

Is the w logo on the JPG icon, or in the Windows Explorer Preview?

terryp96 21:53 15 Nov 03

when I open a file containing jpegs, where the small icon with the number underneath usually is this has been replaced by the blue logo, as soon as I double click a pic to enlarge it ,the blue logo disappears.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:05 15 Nov 03

Have you run adaware/ click here You could also delte everything in you temp, temp internet and cookie files. Go to start-run and type msconfig, go to the start up tab and see if there is anything odd running.

G

terryp96 22:11 15 Nov 03

no there is only the bare minimum running and nothing has been added recently. I do have Adaware but only the free version

Mad Dan 22:20 15 Nov 03

This is a new one on me. I wouldn't have thought it could be a virus as the code would require an executable to run it. Graphic files can't really cause problems because they are not executables. Code hidden in the picture might possibly show up as damage to the image, but if you loaded it into a graphics package and re-saved it anything attached to it would be lost.
There was a report of a virus last year that could attach itself to a jpeg, called W32/Perrun, but it would only run if a special executable was downloaded on your machine first. Passing the image to anyone else wouldn't normally cause any harm. I think Nortons AV will catch it anyway.
Try loading the image into a graphics program and re-saving it as a new jpeg, and also as a bmp for comparison.
Also try checking your file associations - it's just a thought but I suppose it could be due to whatever program is linked to jpegs on your machine?

terryp96 22:37 15 Nov 03

Iv'e just tried last suggestion, saving as jpeg I still got the blue w, but when I saved it as bmp no blue w. Does this help

wee eddie 22:52 15 Nov 03

Have you accidentally changed the associations.

Although, for the life of me I cant see why .jpeg should be associated with what sounds like "Word".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…