Vulnerablities in Windows

hiwatt 14:42 06 Nov 07

Hi folks,I done the online scanner with trendmicro housecall and it's found 10 vulnerabilities in PNG,richedit,msn messenger,microsoft word,office and excel which apparently can lead to someone having complete control over my computer and it's saying they have to be fixed manually but when I look for updates in windows it's saying there are no critical updates availiable?Can anyone advise on what I need to do,thankyou.

Fingees 14:52 06 Nov 07

The trouble with most on line scanners, is the fact that they always find something wrong with your system.

I fell most of the time whatever you use, it's a way of convincing you to buy a removal/fixing tool to put things right.

If your normal AV and spyware doesn't find anything, then I wouldn't worry,If any updates were required from windows, they would be available.

hiwatt 14:59 06 Nov 07

This is actually a free online scanner that detects and cleans.It never picked up any viruses or spyware just these vulnerabilities in windows.Thanks.

anskyber 15:03 06 Nov 07

Have you checked the custom updates as opposed to the critical updates?

Confab 15:15 06 Nov 07

click here

And click on the check for free updates on the top right

hiwatt 15:57 06 Nov 07

Yes I checked the custom updates and there were a few but none relating to msn messenger,word,office or excel.CONFAB I clicked on the link you gave but nothing happens when I click on the "free updates" link.Cheers folks.

Confab 19:51 06 Nov 07

afetr you click on the free updates you then have to click on microsoft updates (it apears underneath). Have you done this?

Confab 20:41 06 Nov 07

Sorry office updates appears on the left after you click on "free updates"

hiwatt 10:15 07 Nov 07

None of the updates that are availiable have the same number as the ones I apparently need.Should I download them anyway?This is the ones housecall listed.
MS07-044

Confab 12:10 07 Nov 07

I would install the MS updates that it says to install and then try the MS update site again. Sometimes new updates appear after you install the ones listed. I would then run Housecall again to see what’s reported. If you Google "update" followed by your update number you will see what applications require updating. So "Update 890261" returns an update for WMP. Click on the link to find that particular update. Alternatively you could open the application (in this example WMP) and get it to check for updates for you.

I would suggest a back-up of your system first

hiwatt 17:07 07 Nov 07

Update 890261 is showing as an update for msn messenger.I never use msn messenger so it it unsafe to just leave it?Also windows media player is saying it's up to date.Is my computer unsafe if I don't update ALL these updates even though they're not critical?Any help much appreciated,thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced