//some 3rd party need geo

vredir.vdx

Stephanie 11:36 04 Jan 03
  Stephanie 11:36 04 Jan 03

I am running win 98se and trying to network my pc with a laptop. My problem is that when I installed windows I didn't install all the networking protocols as I wasn't thinking of networking at the time. In preparation for networking I have twice tried installing them and each time, after installation I am unable to start windows; getting a win protection error re initiallising the above file. I can start in Safe mode but frankly don't know what to do from there.

Perhaps I should also mention that I removed the Network neighbourhood icon from my desktop with Tweakui and can't get it back. I don't know if this is relevant.

Any help greatly appreciated.

recap 12:35 04 Jan 03

Stephanie, run the O/S disc and select repair this may install the Network neighbourhood icon for you again, if this doesn't work select "Custom Install" and select it from there.

Lozzy 12:40 04 Jan 03

Opps..

repeat the process you did before but mahe sure you add "Client for Microsoft Networks" "Network Neighbourhood" "Internet protocok TCP/IP" and "File Printer Sharing for Microsofts Networks" then ro boot all should be ok thereafter.. click here for additional help

Stephanie 18:24 04 Jan 03

Thanks for all your help. The solution to my problem appears to be disabling the on board LAN port. I'm not using this to network as I'm using a USB network cable.

I have the network up and running now and would like to use Norton Ghost to back up my XP setup over the network; but I'll post a seperate thread on this.

Thanks a lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…