VPN through a wireless router

slanesavage 19:30 05 Jul 06

I have an established VPN connection from home to work. This which works perfectly through an ADSL modem. However I can not get it to work with my new Blekin Wireless modem router, using either the hard port or wirless connections. NB I can connect to the WEB.
When trying to connect to wotk via VPN I get acknowledgement that the user is authenticated but after 10- 15 sections the connection fails as the gateway is not responding.

I think that the problem may be down to configuring the router Firewall to accept / allow the CheckPoint VPN-1 connection however i am not sure how to set this up.

Any advice appreciated

Belkin F5D7633

ade.h 20:06 05 Jul 06

Probably just a case of configuring your hardware firewall to allow the VPN. Check your manual for info.

slanesavage 08:52 06 Jul 06

Hi ade.h
ref "Probably just a case of configuring your hardware firewall to allow the VPN. Check your manual for info."

As per my post I think that this is the issue, however the manual does not advise on how to configure the firewall to allow the VPN. Hence I am stuck.

Cheers

fitshase 12:19 06 Jul 06

Which model of router is it?

F5D7633uk4 or F5D7633uk4A

It may be the case that you have to find out which ports the vnc connection uses and make sure that they are forwarded to the correct machine on the network.

See if there is a specific setting for VNC on the router. I have a Netgear DG834g router which has a VNC wizard now thanks to the latest firmware. It may be the case that new firmware is available for yours to enable this.

Regards

Fitshase

slanesavage 12:32 06 Jul 06

Hi and thanks Fitshase.
The model number is F5D7633uk4A. The manual states that the router is capabile of supporting VPN but does not give any specific advise on how to configure/set up.

I have been advised that I need to allow the following services. I have a reasonable knowledge but this is all foreign to me and I have no idea how to set this up, the router manual does not help.

TCP/264 (for VPN Topology Download)
IPSEC and IKE (UDP on port 500)
IPSEC ESP (IP type 50)
IPSEC AH (IP type 51)

TCP/500 (if using IKE over TCP)
UDP 2746 or another port (if using UDP encapsulation)

FW1_scv_keep_alive (UDP port 18233) — used for SCV keep-alive packets
FW1_pslogon_NG (TCP port 18231) — used for SecureClient's logon to Policy Server protocol
tunnel_test (UDP port 18234) - used by Check Point tunnel testing application"

ade.h 16:06 06 Jul 06

It skips over VPN config because it assumes a certain level of knowledge about VPNs - which I would rank as pretty deep-end stuff - and also assumes that some network administrator is available to tell you what ports to forward. You'll need to find out what ports your VPN system requires. Alternatives include placing your chosen client in a DMZ or disabling the firewall altogether if you have decent client firewalls.

Fitschase - current firmware rev for the 33 has been around for a while now. Might be due one, but they're very infrequent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…