Voyager USB modem and standby

Graham ® 09:11 05 Jun 06

Here's a strange one: occasionally, when I opt for standby, I get the message 'Entering standby' but then the desktop re-appears. The cursor is now hidden, but still functioning, in that I can hover over an icon and open a program. The only way out of this situation is to hold in the power button to shut down.

No entries in Event Viewer, and Broadband disconnected.

However, last night, whilst in the 'hidden cursor' mode, I unplugged the modem USB cable and it went to standby when requested!

How can a USB device affect standby, I wonder?

BBez 12:40 05 Jun 06

go into device manager, find the modem under USB controllers, select properties, then "power management" and uncheck the radio button for "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"

as the modem is always connected to internet, when you attempt a standby, it may be attempting to bring the PC back up if the mentioned radio button is checked...

Graham ® 12:49 05 Jun 06

Thanks, it's not checked.

BBez 14:33 05 Jun 06

OK, have you had a look in the BIOS Power Management settings to see if you can change any settings there.

NOTE: make a note of settings so you can change them back if you get more problems.

Graham ® 17:30 05 Jun 06

BBez, I'll have a look. It's definately the modem, it sometimes hangs on the 'Entering standby' window. Unplugging the modem allows standby.

Graham ® 18:01 05 Jun 06

Nothing in BIOS Power to change. I have changed the Quick Boot Mode to disabled, but I doubt that will change much.

Graham ® 08:58 08 Jun 06

Disabling the Quick Boot Mode seems to have done the trick. No problems with Standby since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…