Voyager Broadband with Linux ?

Nickoftime 10:01 11 Dec 05

Looking to equip a Community project with Linux OS & open source S/W to keep costs down. Can existing BT Broadband Voyager Router run on Linux for internet connection ? - no mention of Linux on BT web site. Grateful also for any other tips re open source-based approach.

Haol 10:37 11 Dec 05

It should work, the easiest I found to setup was one with a KDE Desktop, what distribution are you using?

Nickoftime 15:43 11 Dec 05

Haol,

Thanks for the interest in my question but I'm afraid I don't understand the significance of 'KDE Desktop' nor know what you mean by 'distribution'. Would you mind explaining ?

mgmcc 15:57 11 Dec 05

The two main Graphical User Interfaces are "KDE" and "Gnome", so the suggestion is to use a version of Linux that has "KDE" as its interface.

The various versions of Linux are referred to as Distributions or "Distros".

I've recently installed "SuSE 10" Linux and it required no additional configuration to get online via my router. It detected the network adapter and was online as soon as it was booted for the first time.

Nickoftime 16:25 11 Dec 05

Thanks, mgmcc. Do I take it your rouer is an ASDL one (or even the BT Voyager, perhaps) ?. At the moment the PC we're looking to use doesn't have an ethernet capability so we're assuming we'd be using the USB connection option which the Voyager offers between PC & router. Is this likely to complicate things ?

mgmcc 17:02 11 Dec 05

I think you would find the connection much easier to get working by connecting to the router by ethernet, installing a PCI network card if necessary. This is a basic networking connection and, as with Windows, doesn't involve the installation of software. To get a USB connection to a router working is unlikely to set itself up automatically with Linux the way ethernet does.

My broadband connection isn't ADSL, I have Telewest Cable, but with an ethernet connection this shouldn't make any difference. The router (or for ADSL, the combined Router/Modem) establishes the connection to the ISP and then any computer plugged into one of its LAN ports should have access automatically.

USB was never designed as a technology for networking whereas Ethernet was, so that is the way to go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…