Volume on Salvaged Laptop Hard Disc

britianicus 12:06 12 Mar 04

I recently put a salvaged Laptop Hard Disc into a caddy. XP is fine with it. I.e. it recognises it but it won't let me format whilst in XP itself. XP tells me to quit other apps etc before formatting it. But I have tried via "My Computer." When I try and format it thru the command prompt it asks me for the "volume" of the HD. How can I find this out or can anyone give me any ideas of doing it in XP?

anon1 12:57 12 Mar 04

If it is asking for the volume it would appear it does not know the size of the hdd. Look at the properties of the hdd. Failing that click here and download advisor

JerryJay 14:09 12 Mar 04

Just a guess. The drive you got must be a primay partition (bootable), so WinXP will not allow you to format it. I am not sure, but this could be the reason. Fdisk from dos is not a option because it is not easy to get usb device work under dos.

One program which is good format and partion is Partition Magic. As for free option, you could try Casper XP click here, click here. This is a program to help to move data from drive to drive, but it also provide some partition/format function.

britianicus 14:53 12 Mar 04

I managed to sort it out within XP but thanks for your help anyways.

Matt

anon1 17:29 12 Mar 04

well close the thread then, you know tick the box

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…