Volume Label for C Drive

Tikka 14:33 16 Jul 04

I am trying to convert my FAT 32 file system to NTFS using the command prompt in XP. The program keeps asking for the volume label of my C Drive. If if look at the properties of the C Drive the drive is described as Gateway. Looking on the Hardware tab the drive is described as IBM-DPTA-372050. Looking at Sytem Info via Sytem Tools the Volume Ser No is a 9 digit number. None of these are accepted by the conversion program. Where do I go from here?

AndySD 14:36 16 Jul 04

Leave it blank and hit enter

Tikka 15:47 16 Jul 04

Thanks Andy. That does not work.

Tikka 19:25 16 Jul 04

Thanks Bela. The volume label returned was 316F-1503 which seemed to be the correct format. The conversion program still will not accept it (incorrect volume label). Any other ideas?

bremner 19:35 16 Jul 04

In My Computer right click the drive you want to change. Choose 'rename' and call the drive 'C Drive' for example.

This will now be the volume name.

whybe 20:02 16 Jul 04

If you type Start, Computer the volume label name is to the left of the bracketed letter, eg Hard Drive (C:) the name 'Hard Drive' is your volume label.

whybe 20:05 16 Jul 04

Sorry should have mentioned you need to enter the label exactly as shown, eg using any spaces, no quotes etc. Hope this helps.

Tikka 14:50 17 Jul 04

Thank you everyone. Conversion done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…