volume control in system tray/taskbar

march 08:24 24 Apr 03

morning everyone, can anyone tell me how to restore the volume contol to the system tray it use to be on but has gone for some reason, have tried start,settings, mutimedia,but cannot select 'show volume control on taskbar' option it's just greyed out running windows 98
thanks march

^wave^ 08:39 24 Apr 03

have you tried sfc

march 08:47 24 Apr 03

just did as you suggested all ok on sfc
march

Ben Avery 09:03 24 Apr 03

For Windows 98:

"Start"

"Settings"

"Control Panel"

"Multimedia"

Tick the "Show volume control on the taskbar" checkbox.

Other os's should be similar if not the same

BA

MAJ 09:07 24 Apr 03

To clarify, march, does your last post mean that the icon has or has not returned? If it has not returned and the option is still greyed out, check in Device Manager to see if there are any conflicts or problems with your sound card. If there are you'll see a little Yellow exclaimation mark beside your sound card entry. If there is, remove the sound card from Device Manager, re-boot your PC and Windows should detect it and reinstall the drivers (have them handy). See if that cures the problem.

march 09:14 24 Apr 03

Ben problem was the 'show volume control on taskbar' was greyed out so could not select it but for I have just highlighted the soundmax digitial audio and then clicked properties I did not changed anything at all but the select box for 'show volume on taskbar' has become selectable again,have checked it & volume control is back on taskbar!!! have no idea why or how but there you go problem solved.<magic
thanks anyway
march

march 09:19 24 Apr 03

sorry MAJ see what you mean looks as if the control was back when I posted the sfc answer to ^wave^ what Imeant was all ok with sfc, but as you can see now all ok- volume control back on taskbar, thanks for your response
march

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…