Volume control on start up

slowhand_1000 10:06 16 Mar 04

System is W98se

A friend has a problem in that when the pc is booted up. The volume control settings box, the one associated with the speaker icon in the systems tray, opens up on start up.

I suggested to stop it running at start up, but my friend uses it for volume control as the speakers are a little distance from the speakers.

Cheers

slowhand

Diodorus Siculus 10:09 16 Mar 04

Check for a reference to it in MSCONFIG

start

run

msconfig

startup tab

If there, untick it.

Stuartli 10:18 16 Mar 04

This is somewhat confusing. So what's the real problem as normally most people wish to have the Volume icon in the Task Bar?

Does your friend NOT want the Volume icon in the Task Bar? If so then follow Diodorus Siculus's advice or go to the Control Panel and, in Sound and Audio Devices' Volume tab, untick/disable the Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar setting.

slowhand_1000 10:31 16 Mar 04

Sorry, perhaps not explained very well.

Stuartli

Yes she wants the icon in the taskbar, but when the pc is booted up the actual control box for the volume control/settings opens up on the desktop. As if she has opened up the volume controls.

Diodorus Siculus

I have looked in msconfig and there is no reference to it.

slowhand_1000 10:39 16 Mar 04

I have just disabled the icon in the system tray but the control box still shows on start up.

Diodorus Siculus 11:43 16 Mar 04

slowhand_1000 - what about in the start folder of the programs menu.

slowhand_1000 12:07 16 Mar 04

Diodorus Siculus

Nothing in the start folder either.

slowhand_1000 13:22 16 Mar 04

Bump

I last bump before I tell her she's going to have to live with it.

Diodorus Siculus 14:03 16 Mar 04

click here
Try this program; it lists what loads at startup and enables them to be stopped.

slowhand_1000 14:19 16 Mar 04

cheers I will give that a go

temp003 14:36 16 Mar 04

See if there might be some sound related program or sound card utililty that runs at startup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…