Voltage selection on a PSU

rickus 15:59 19 Sep 06

I am fitting a replacement PSU (a Shuttle PC40) to my daughter's PC.

It says to make sure it is adjusted to the correct (240) voltage.

I can see nothing on the old or new PSU to select the voltage. They both have kettle leads for the incoming power.

Do I need to do anything to select the voltage?

Thanks
Rick

DieSse 16:02 19 Sep 06

Not all PSUs have voltage selectors - does it say 230V on the label?

rickus 16:06 19 Sep 06

It says 100 - 240

and it also says

"SELECT THE RIGHT VOLTAGE!"

Stuartli 16:15 19 Sep 06

Thgen there must be a slide switch type facility somewhere - on many PSUs I've seen it's bright red.

An older, now unused Enermax PSU (still on the floor by my desk) has the slide control between the mains socket and the on/off switch.

rickus 16:21 19 Sep 06

There is no switch anywhere in site - either for the voltage or on/off
???

rodriguez 16:42 19 Sep 06

Usually it's just a bright red slider near to where the kettle lead plugs in. If there isn't one, then it's probably automatic. It won't be hidden so that you can't see it, so if it isn't there just plug in PSU and it should be ok.

rickus 16:51 19 Sep 06

Thank you for the responses

I am assuming it must be automatic - just strange that it had the warning to select the right voltage.

I am connecting some of the leads back in and I notice that the red and black wires are sometimes the other way round from the original PSU - i.e. the plugs will only go in one way and cannot go in the other way up to leave the wiring colours as they were. Is that OK?

DieSse 17:03 19 Sep 06

Many Switching mode power supplies can function on such a wide range of voltages that they don't use a switch any more.

Odd they should put a warning label on as well though!

rickus 17:17 19 Sep 06

Thanks for that - any thoughts on my new question?:

"I am connecting some of the leads back in and I notice that the red and black wires are sometimes the other way round from the original PSU - i.e. the plugs will only go in one way and cannot go in the other way up to leave the wiring colours as they were. Is that OK?"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5