Voltage problem

Totally-braindead 20:34 18 Feb 04

I've just built a system based on a MSI KT6 Delta motherboard using an AMD 2500+ Barton chip with 512mb Ram, it has a DVD reader a DVD writer and a CD Writer as well as a 120 Gig Seagate Hard drive. Running Windows XP.
Now as I was a bit worried about temperatures I installed the MSI Core Center to keep an eye on things.
The problem is the alarm keeps going off when the DVD Reader is running, its the 3.3v warning that goes off when it drops to about 2.8v. Any idea whats causing this and is this anything to worry about, can I just disable the warning on this item?
I thought it might be a power supply problem but its 350w which I though would be adequate.
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

R4 20:49 18 Feb 04

A 450W/550W Psu would have been better AMD processors are quite power hungry yours takes about 69 Watts.

Try this site for a Power check I think you will be surprised how much power you need: click here

Totally-braindead 21:00 18 Feb 04

Thanks R4 interesting site, not entirely convinced it is the power supply wattage though as it only happens when the DVD reader is used. If for example you're burning a DVD using the DVD writer (which I assume uses more power) the alarm doesn't go off. To be honest I'm wondering if its the DVD reader which is at fault as it does appear to use a lot of power. Strangely when I booted the system for the first time 2 weeks ago this problem didn't occur its only started in the last couple of days

Robotic_Rob 21:21 18 Feb 04

If you think its to do with the dvd reader then install it on a mates computer with a bigger PSU wattage. If it comes up its the dvd reader, if it dunt its your psu.

gudgulf 23:45 18 Feb 04

Other than the alarm going off ,are you experiencing any other problems with your pc?

Try uninstalling MSI core centre and use your pc normally---if it works ok and doesn't crash or throw up error messages then the chances are its working just fine and dosen't have a problem---I have an Asus board and stopped using their monitor because it was leading to a bad attack of paranoia!!!

woodchip 23:48 18 Feb 04

It's the laser when it reads a writes that is using the power you need a Upgrade PSU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…