vol control on desktop won't go away

palinka 16:59 14 Jul 08

On a friend's laptop (OS XP): click volume icon near clock and the slider bar pops up on the desktop and won't go away again. Currently have 3 identical copies showing in attempts to get them to vanish. Only solution so far is to restart. Any suggestions, please?

Technotiger 18:30 14 Jul 08

Go to Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and untick Place volume icon in the taskbar.

birdface 19:28 14 Jul 08

Run your security programs last time I had that problem it was a Virus and was opening lots of copies.

palinka 19:45 14 Jul 08

Technotiger, I WANT it on the taskbar, it's becasue it's staying on the desktop when clicked in the taskbar that it's a problem.
Thanks buteman, I'd kind of come to that same conclusion and i've just been downloading several "anti-nasty" progs to run on it. There are several other minor things not working quite as they should so I suspect virus or similar (but I hadn't associated the volumn control icon with that .)

palinka 14:48 15 Jul 08

Still working through AdAware, Ccleaner, etc, etc, and done scan with AVG ( which wouldn't install before) and found various things,though no virus so far; the vol control problem appears to have gone away.

palinka 11:22 16 Jul 08

OK, all done. Still don't really know what caused the problem but the deletion of everything found by scanning with several programs has cured it.
Suspect it all happened because of the activities of small children , unsupervised, on a computer that is little used and may not have had AV as up to date as it should have been.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac