VoIP phone line installation.

danny123 16:00 17 Jul 10

Hi,

I've been looking around the internet but can't find an answer to if this would work.

I have a Linksys SPA2100 VoIP box with two phone lines coming out. But I want to move it into the loft and run the phone lines over Cat5e ethernet cables but don't know if this will work.

Which setups would work?:

Linksys SPA 2100
(RJ11 male)--(RJ45 female)
(RJ45 male)--(RJ45 faceplate)
(RJ45 male)--(BT female)

or

Linksys SP2100
(RJ45 male)--(RJ45 faceplate)
(RJ45 male)--(RJ11 male)
Phone device

These were the parts I was looking at:
click here
(RJ45 male)--(BT female)
click here
Phone Device
(RJ45 male)--(RJ11 male)
click here

Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks,
Dan

dms_05 11:07 20 Jul 10

You will need to connect the Linksys SPA2100 VoIP box to the Router by standard CAT5 LAN cable no matter where you place the Linksys SPA2100 VoIP box.

The telephone or extensions from the Linksys SPA2100 VoIP box are exactly the same as any other telphone line/extension so use the appropriate cables with the appropriate connectors for your equipment. Cat5 cable is identical to telephone cable so you could use it for wiring extensions.

As your Linksys SPA2100 VoIP box will need a mains 240v connection you could use a pair of Homeplugs to Networking over Mains Cable and so dispense with the LAN cable from PC to Linksys SPA2100 VoIP box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…