VOiP how do they ring me

jagx400 17:37 04 Mar 05

Just signed up for VOiP with click here and am wondering how does someone with another VOiP phone ring me

FelixTCat 18:07 04 Mar 05

With most, their software tells you whether they are on the web. You then connect and hope that they notice!

FelixTCat 18:10 04 Mar 05

Sorry, just noticed what the reference is. When you call someone, their normal telephone rings - 1899's system calls through to their landline. I am not yet clear whether you pay the 3p connection charge - one part of the site says you do, another part says there is no connection charge.

FelixTCat 18:24 04 Mar 05

I made a call yesterday to a landline. It has just appeared on the account as free, i.e. no 3p connection charge.

I don't know anyone else on the system, so I don't know what happens if you try to connect to someone else on the web and if you can use their "1899" number.

Interestingly, when that person tried 1471, it came up as my landline number even though I had made the call VOIP.

jagx400 18:30 04 Mar 05

They sent me a customer number so am wondering if that is the number another user would dial. I dont have a mike or phone yet, getting that tomorrow, dont have anyone on their network to ring so wont be able to try it

FelixTCat 18:45 04 Mar 05

According to the web site, you register 1899Voip to:
Username = 1899 <YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER> (for example this could be 189902012345678) and Password = your customer number.

This worked for me. However, there is no web address for anyone to call in, so I assume that this is just another way to get people to use the 1899 service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…