Voice Recognition Software

dogbreath1 14:07 PM 19 Oct 11

Need advice on which to buy. Accuracy is more important than features. The product will only be used for dictating documents.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home 11.5 (PC) seems to be popular (£63 @ Amazon). Would welcome comments on this product.

Any help gratefully received.

db.

woodchip 14:31 PM 19 Oct 11

I use Dragon

chub_tor 15:34 PM 19 Oct 11

If you have Windows 7 it is included Click Here I have tried it in the past along with Dragon but could never get on with either, I find typing much easier.

northumbria61 15:46 PM 19 Oct 11

I have used the speech recognition software included with Windows 7 in the past and found it adequate for my needs at the time and accurate. Why not give it a try first before you go spending cash.

dogbreath1 15:57 PM 19 Oct 11

Apologies for not naming my OS when I posted, but I am still using XP SP3.

chub_tor 16:31 PM 19 Oct 11

You could try the free demo at e-speaking first

wiz-king 16:37 PM 19 Oct 11

I use an older version of the IBM software (now Dragon) and after taking time to set it up it works fine.

However you will need a good headset microphone, I tried several and managed to record the clock ticking and the TV sound! Not to mention the answers to 'she who must be obeyed' questions like - where do you want your coffee? The hardest thing was getting used to talking to the PC and then deleting the 'Damns'.

chub_tor 19:17 PM 19 Oct 11

wiz-king it wasn't the "damns" for me more the "ums and ahhs," so with the help of Mavis Beacon I taught myself to touch type. It probably took longer than teaching my machine to understand my Essex/American/Devon accent but it suits me better. There's something about talking and listening to myself that I find very off-putting.

Woolwell 19:41 PM 19 Oct 11

You have to remember that it is dictation which isn't the same as naturally speaking. I may be biased against voice recognition as many years ago I was taught to touch type.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…