Vodafone Mobile Connect Card

AP22 22:59 10 Jan 06

I have a Vodafone Mobile Connect Card which has both 3G and GPRS. I have had it for about 6 months but have never had anything but awful connection speeds. I can usually connect OK but when I try to access any web page it just crawls. 10bps (Yes bits per second)is a common data transfer rate showing on the dashboard. I have tried it in many different locations up and down the country with the same result. I have tried all the settings, re-installation etc but still no good. A discussion with a Vodafone shop elicited the marvellous advice to ring 191 on my phone and Vodafone would tell me how to convert the 3G to 2G!
Am I doing something wrong or is this Mobile Connect all hype? Is there a conflict somewhere? Could the card be faulty?

ade.h 23:07 10 Jan 06

You're lucky that it works at all!

Mine was - fortunately - free with a laptop and it has only worked twice.

When it did work though, it was fairly quick at over 300Kb per sec, which is what it should achieve on 3G. On GPRS, it will be a fair bit slower but nowhere near as bad as what you have experienced.

Your card is almost certainly faulty. I may still have the direct contact details for the 3G card tech support department - if I can find them, I'll post them here tomorrow.

ade.h 23:43 12 Jan 06
  Taff™ 00:49 13 Jan 06

You have to wonder why they gave it away with the laptop. 3G network cards - despite what Vodaphone "et-all" paid for the service - is only just coming online to us mere mortals. The 3G 256 signal is OK in some areas but then it will automatically drop to GPRS strenghth signals where they don`t have "coverage". (My mobile phone which is now 3 years old picks up GPRS anywhere`ish.

Stick with it - they will get there eventually! I personally think the acquisition of the licenses (Capital Expenditure)froze the companies for 12 months and they are now trying to give us the service we deserve and pay for.

ade.h 15:55 13 Jan 06

was good when the device worked. Not broadband speed, but about 340-something Kbits per sec is still very functional. I thought it would be very useful when meeting clients who don't have wifi on the premises.

Unfortunately it has sat on a shelf since then because Vodafone was unable to figure out how to cure the resource issue. So I don't even know for certain if the device is faulty or just happens to be incompatible with my laptop.

Hopefully, AP22 will have better luck that I did. If I had paid for it, I would be complaining loudly to Vodafone.

AP22 16:28 13 Jan 06

Many thanks all for your help. A funny thing happened when I rang Vodafone tech support. They said that they could see my card logged on and couldn't understand why, after logging on, it then dropped down to such a low bit rate when I tried to access a web site. They said it must be something to do with my laptop and I needed to take my laptop and card into a Vodafone shop and get them to check it out. However, they would put a "watch on the account". I should see how it goes for the next day or two before I go into the shop. Low and behold, the next day the card worked brilliantly and has done so ever since. 384KBs speed. Did they perhaps alter the contention settings or something? I certainly did nothing new to my laptop or card settings. Seems mighty coincidental that they said they'd watch it and it suddenly works!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5