vnetsup.vxd error message on start up

hssutton 10:03 19 Feb 04

New home build PC, PC Chips M810DLU motherboard running Win 98se.

On start-up I get the following message, cannot find device file that may be required to run windows or windows application. The registry or System.ini file refers to this device file, but the device no longer exists. press any key to continue. these are the files listed. vnetsup.vxd, vreddir.vxd & dfs.vxd.

Windows will then boots to win 98, displaying another message. "Unable to load the dynamic link library, msnp32.dll. On clicking ok the PC works ok.

Many thanks for any help forthcoming.

Gongoozler 10:53 19 Feb 04

Hi hssutton. I had this problem recently when I rebuilt a computer with a PC Chips Syntax motherboard. This had onboard LAN which I hadn't disabled and as a result the Windows 98se installed the LAN components, but incompletely, hence the error messages. In my case, as I had only installed the Windows 98se OS, I reformatted the hard drive and disabled the LAN in BIOS before reinstalling Windows. You may get away with the less drastic solution of removing the LAN components via add/remove programs. Alternatively. put the Windows 98 disk back in and extract the missing files.

hssutton 17:21 19 Feb 04

Thanks Gongoozler, Add/Remove did not work, so it was a reformat, carried out the same procedure as you. All is now well.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…