vja.cpy.dll is it a virus?

hugeb 17:13 17 Apr 04

Help......
I have just run Norton anti-virus and it found some virus files which it managed to delete. However vja.cpy.dll was shown as a virus and Norton could not delete it. when I check for it manually and then try to delete it windows tells me it cannot be deleted. what is it ? is it going to affect my PC and why does it show up as a virus if it is part of Windows?

hugh-265156 17:23 17 Apr 04

when you checked for it manually,in which folder did you find it?

nothing on google for this,closest is vga.copy.dll

did you disable system restore before running a virus scan?

hugeb 21:47 17 Apr 04

huggyg71
It was in the windows/system32 folder and i have now been able to delete it. don't know if what I did was right but logged on to symantic site and the advice was to empty the temp folder. this seemed to do the trick cos I could then delete the file which was a copy of vja.dll
When scanned with Norton this one did not show up as a threat so I left this alone.
Yes I did disable system restore when running the scan.....but this seems to be a real pain.....cos every time you need to diasable it ...you loose all the restore points.
Thanks for responding

hugeb 11:18 19 May 04

this vja.copy.dll has resurfaced.
When I ran adaware this morn it showed up that vx2.beterinternet was a threat? with a registry change and altered file...vja.copy.dll
This file is a copy of vja.dll and each time it is recreated it has the same date and size as the original.
the annoying thing is that every now and then when first connected to the internet I get a message box popping onto the screen to inform me that.......
RUNDLL
An exception occurred while trying to run
"C:\WINDOWS\system\vja.copy.dll",UMonitor

OK it may not be able to do anything cos I have Adaware...spybot...spywareblaster...Norton Internet Security 2004....Zone alarm but why even when I clean it out and delete system restore points does it keep coming back?

Any help would be appreciated....thanks

Old Shep 11:31 19 May 04

Have you tried booting up in safe mode and deleting it.

scaleman 13:36 19 May 04

Have recently updated my AVG virus prog and following a full system check have been alerted to 4 viruses (or is it viri?) - all stored in the C:\_Restore\Temp directory.

No amount of trying will let me delete thse files - all of which are listed as "A00*****.cpy" wher ***** is numeric.

Anybody have ideas how to delete these since they all seem impervious to any attempt to delete or isolate them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…