Viva Espana?

aitch2 11:23 27 Aug 08

Any forum members have experience of ISP's, internet connection, accounts etc. when in Spain. My daughter will shortly be going out to Spain for 9-months for her work placement. Her laptop, which she will be taking with her, has WinXP+SP3 and is wifi enabled. Any info much appreciated,
Aitch

Jak_1 12:42 27 Aug 08

I have a very good friend in Mallorca whom I visit each year. He say's that the broadband over there is not as reliable as over here nor can you get the same speeds. A 512 connection seems to be the norm in Spain and connection dropouts are common. It is also more expensive.

aitch2 13:03 27 Aug 08

Thanks for that. Hopefully things might be a bit better on the mainland, as she will be in Madrid.
Aitch

^wave^ 14:58 27 Aug 08

yes there is bb in spain but it relies on a phone line which if not installed can be difficult to get look into mobile bb that maybe the way to go

aitch2 15:28 27 Aug 08

She should have a telephone line in her flat and this we hope will give her Internet Access. Possibly mobile BB will be too expensive but it is worth considering as an option. Thanks.

Ditch999 16:25 27 Aug 08

Starbucks coffee shops do wireless hotspots in Madrid click here

mimosa418 16:34 27 Aug 08

Local councils often have free wi-fi services.
Free dial up can easily be arranged with spanish isp though some spanis is handy. Try terra.es or inicia.es.
Movistar has a USB broadband dongle on pay as you go.
or try
click here
This is handy if you have a web mail account. I use it regularly.

EARLR 18:38 27 Aug 08

I live in southern Spain and Yes BB is expensive. I have used YA.com and Telfonica. I find that telifonica is the best (at least they speak English) as for speed 1 meg is all I can get.

I Wish your Daughter well and hope She enjoys Spain as much as I do.

aitch2 21:12 27 Aug 08

Thanks for all the help. Will do some more research now. Already picked up mimosa418 link and Telephonica.
EARLR Very kind sentiments, thankyou
Aitch

Expat 1 06:43 28 Aug 08

aitch2.
I have been living in Spain on the Costa Blanca (Alicante Region) for the last six years. I use Midas Telecom BB which is reasonably cheap at €20 per month.

It is a fixed line provider which also gives you cheap telephone calls back to UK and beyond. It is a UK run set up with English helpline etc

As Jak_1 says BB here is not as reliable as UK but their helpline is second to none.

Suggest you check it out on Google search just type in Midas Telecom.es

Best of luck to your daughter she can't go wrong learning another language.

DieSse 11:57 28 Aug 08

In cities and towns the standard Telefonica BB is now 3Mbps.

You can get excellent deals with Ya (owned by Orange) click here

and Arrakis (owned by BT) click here

and Jazztel click here

She'll almost certainly have to sign up for a year - but many offer a couple of free months - so on balance it'll cancel out.

Whilst BB might be a bit iffy in some places, I'm sure Madrid will be fine - I don't have any complaints about my ISP (BB via wireless - I live in the sticks).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…